Thailand accuses Cambodia of second ceasefire violation in two days

 


Tensions remain high between Thailand and Cambodia despite a recently brokered ceasefire agreement. On Wednesday, Thailand’s military accused Cambodian forces of violating the truce for the second time in two days, warning that continued aggression could lead to stronger military responses. The violations reportedly occurred at three locations along the disputed border in Thailand's Sisaket province. Thai military officials claim Cambodian troops used small arms and grenade launchers, forcing Thai forces to respond in self-defence.


The ceasefire, which went into effect at midnight on Monday, was negotiated in Malaysia with the help of Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim and U.S. President Donald Trump. The goal was to end five days of deadly fighting the most intense conflict between the countries in over a decade that had already killed at least 43 people and displaced more than 300,000 civilians across both nations.


See also: Far-Right Activist Tommy Robinson Allegedly Flees UK After Assault Incident

Trump had warned both Thai and Cambodian leaders that continued conflict could jeopardize trade agreements, including a 36% tariff on their exports to the U.S., unless a new deal was reached. Following the ceasefire agreement, he said he had spoken to both sides and instructed U.S. trade officials to begin negotiations.


Despite the truce, there have been no signs of troop withdrawals from either side, although there have been no reports of heavy artillery use since the agreement. The ceasefire also prohibits any new troop movements and aims to de-escalate the conflict ahead of a key military meeting scheduled for August 4 in Cambodia.



Cambodia has denied all accusations of breaking the ceasefire and called Thailand’s claims false and damaging to peace efforts. In a press conference, Cambodian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Chum Sounry said the country is fully committed to the truce and supports the creation of an independent monitoring body. According to Cambodia, such accusations only undermine efforts to build trust and maintain peace between the two neighbouring countries.


See also: (In the UK) Polarizing Case: Sandie Peggie's Tribunal Sparks Debate on Free Speech and Inclusivity

The conflict stems from long-standing disputes over border demarcation, particularly around the area of the Preah Vihear Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage site that both nations claim. The recent flare-up followed years of tense relations and smaller skirmishes, but the current clashes have escalated more than any in recent memory.


Although both countries agreed to halt troop movement and avoid further provocation, Thai officials remain sceptical about Cambodia's intentions. Thai army spokesman Major-General Winthai Suvaree stated that the latest incidents show a lack of respect for agreements and could destroy de-escalation efforts.


The ceasefire is considered fragile and is being closely watched by international stakeholders. With over 300,000 civilians displaced and infrastructure damaged, pressure is mounting on both governments to prevent further conflict.


A high-level military meeting between Thai and Cambodian defence ministers is scheduled to take place in Cambodia on August 4. The meeting is expected to focus on reinforcing the ceasefire, establishing trust, and discussing a possible withdrawal plan to ensure long-term peace. Until then, both sides are under international scrutiny, especially given the economic stakes tied to U.S. trade relations.


Observers hope the meeting will mark a turning point and prevent another breakdown that could further destabilize the region.

See also: (In the UK) Mark Lazarus: QPR Legend and League Cup Winner Dies at 86

Comments