- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Israel and Syria have agreed to a ceasefire following nearly a week of deadly violence in Syria's Sweida province that killed more than 300 people. The violence primarily involved clashes between Druze and Bedouin fighters in the southern region. On Friday, the U.S. ambassador to Turkey confirmed the truce, which is supported by Turkey, Jordan, and other neighboring states. Earlier this week, Israeli airstrikes targeted government positions in Damascus and the south, citing the need to protect Syria’s Druze minority. In a rare move, Israel has now allowed Syrian internal security forces limited access to Sweida for 48 hours to help stabilize the area. This marks a shift from Israel’s earlier position, where it refused any Syrian troop deployments to the south. Damascus had initially sent troops to stop the fighting but they were accused of abuses against the Druze community and pulled back under an earlier truce. Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa accused Israel of trying to divide Syria and vowed to protect the Druze population. The U.S. played a role in negotiating the initial truce and said it appears to be holding. However, tensions remain high as thousands of armed Bedouins continue to enter the area, fueling fears that violence could erupt again. Israel remains wary of Syria’s new Islamist-aligned leadership and has criticized the U.S. for not condemning Israeli strikes.
See also: Tech CEO Suspended After Viral Concert Video Sparks Affair Rumors
Despite the ceasefire, fighting has continued in parts of Sweida province, especially in its northern and western regions. Local media and residents report severe shortages of food, water, and fuel. The city has been without electricity and proper communication for several days. One local resident described the dire situation, saying, “We have no food, no drink, no electricity nothing at all.” The humanitarian impact has been devastating. The Syrian Network for Human Rights reported over 320 deaths, including women, children, and medical staff. The group also documented field executions committed by various sides. Syria's emergency minister said over 500 people have been treated for injuries and hundreds of families have been evacuated. A convoy of Syrian interior ministry forces was seen waiting near Daraa province, on standby to enter Sweida. Israel has given them a short window 48 hours to act and help quell the violence, though it's unclear if that will be enough. The U.N. Human Rights Office raised alarm over credible reports of widespread human rights violations, including a specific incident where 13 people were killed unlawfully in one day. The UN Refugee Agency has called for humanitarian access to Sweida, which has been severely restricted due to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, U.S. involvement in the ceasefire contrasts with its opposition to recent Israeli airstrikes, highlighting tensions between allies over Syria policy. The fragile ceasefire hangs in the balance as the region remains volatile, with mass displacement, fear among civilians, and no clear long-term plan to prevent further bloodshed.
See also: Ex-South Korean President Yoon Indicted Again Over Martial Law Case
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment