- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
A missile strike hit Gaza’s only Catholic Church, the Holy Family Church, on Thursday, reportedly injuring several individuals including the Parish Priest, Father Gabriel Romanelli. The incident was confirmed by the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, which stated that while there were injuries, no deaths had been officially confirmed. This contradicted earlier accounts from doctors at Gaza’s Al-Ahli Hospital, who initially reported that two women had died in the strike.
See also: Syria Vows to Protect Druze Amid Sectarian Clashes and Israeli Strikes
Father Romanelli, an Argentine national known for his close contact with the Vatican, particularly the late Pope Francis, sustained minor leg injuries. The church also suffered structural damage due to the raid. The Vatican has not released an official statement, and the Israeli military has said it is currently investigating the incident.
The Holy Family Church, a symbol of Christian presence in Gaza, has historically been a shelter for civilians, especially during heightened violence in the region. This latest strike raises concerns about the safety of religious sanctuaries and civilians within conflict zones.
The attack has drawn sharp international criticism, notably from Italy. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni directly blamed Israel for the church strike, describing it as part of a broader pattern of unacceptable violence. “The attacks against the civilian population that Israel has been carrying out for months are unacceptable. No military action can justify such an attitude,” she said in a strong statement condemning the raid.
The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) have not confirmed responsibility and stated they are looking into the matter. Meanwhile, humanitarian and religious leaders are urging both sides to respect international law and protect places of worship.
The strike on a church, especially during a prolonged military campaign, intensifies global scrutiny of Israeli operations in Gaza. It also highlights the mounting civilian toll and the blurred lines between military and civilian spaces in densely populated areas. As investigations continue, the incident adds to the growing list of disputed and tragic events amid the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
See also: Crush at Gaza Aid Site Kills at Least 20, GHF Blames Armed Agitators
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment